Equatoria Teak Company is in the newly created Gbudue State and is the larger Western Equatoria’s largest private employer. Over 91.7% of our workforce are drawn from the local Nzara community and we prioritize investment in employee training programmes with emphasis on capacity building and employee overall advancement not only in the workplace but both socially and economically. We look forward to developing further partnership programmes with the State and Government Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Forestry, and the State Commission of Commerce and Investments to build investor confidence in the State and attract new companies. In addition to royalty payments and taxes, we contribute $5 for every cubic metre that we export to a Community Fund chaired by Hon. Bernardo Kpasira Martin. The Committee represents all villages affected by the various plantations and proposes projects which they deem fit for the community. The fund has developed a $100,000 secondary school in Nzara and is nearing completion on a primary school in Mborizanga. This fund is in addition to the $20 per cubic metre that is payable to the County Government, which also goes directly to help the local community.
Outside the fund, Equatoria Teak Company has:
- Donated generators to the Nzara Hospital to allow the refrigeration of vaccines, and has completed construction work on the facilities of the Comboni Sisters, Italian nuns who offer health and social services to the Nzara population;
- Sponsored Independence Day Celebrations in Nzara;
- Repaired two water pumps in in Nzara and Mborisanga for the community to have an access to clean water;
- Introduced the Moringa plant into the nursery, Nzara Hospital and at the Rainbow Clinic. This plant has strong medicinal properties, which are known to alleviate the symptoms of HIV/AIDS sufferers;
- Assisted the local government of Nzara in repairing main roads, the airstrip and digging pits for garbage disposal using our personnel, vehicles and equipment.